Tuesday, September 16, 2014

To the Queen


Madam,

These volumes contain an essay on the natural history of the part of your majesty’s dominions that is particularly honored to bear your august name: Carolina. Your encouragement of all sorts of learning has emboldened me to request your royal protection and favor to my meager efforts.

I hope your majesty will not find it a waste of time to take a few minutes to cast your eye on these pages. They contain images of the glorious works of the creator displayed in the New World, hitherto concealed from your majesty and your predecessors, even though you have long held this country, which is inferior to none of your other dominions.

I have spent several years in travel and investigation in these remote parts, with the encouragement of several of your majesty’s subjects who are of eminent rank and great patrons of learning. I am singularly happy to be the first to present to the Queen of Great Britain a sample of the hitherto unknown but beneficial and beautiful productions of your Majesty’s dominions.

I am,

May it please your Majesty,

Your Majesty’s

Most humble and most dutiful subject,

M. Catesby.

No comments:

Post a Comment